Damage Control for Heat,
Humidity, Sun & Chlorine
Conditioning Tips and Treatments for Summer
From the Experts at Vartali
Sun, sand, salt and chlorine can wreak havoc on the healthiest head of hair. They can rob hair of moisture and shine, fade color or turn it brassy. Here are 6 tips from the experts at the Vartali Salon that will keep your locks looking luscious from June through August with a minimal amount of time and effort.
1. Hydrating Oil Moisture Bath Treatment
A unique combination of essential plant oils like sage, rosemary and juniper berries, applied to hair before a shampoo, smoothes split ends, restores moisture and adds overall shine to hair. Have your first treatment at the salon, prior to your cut and styling service, and then continue using at home. $26 vial, used once a week, will last all summer and protect hair from the elements.
2. Heat It Up: Slick hydrating oil on wet hair before a game of tennis or while tanning to add a protective barrier from the sun.
3. Deep Conditioning Hair Masque
All-natural French hair masque provides intense conditioning and keeps color bright and true for 4-6 weeks. Applied with a cap for 30-40 minutes, this is the ultimate color enhancing conditioning treatment. Try it before your next color application. It leaves hair feeling like silk and looking radiant. ($??)
4. Use Masque at home – under a hair dryer, in a sauna or while gardening – to repair sun-damaged strands or for extreme moisture care.
5. Split-Enders: Make sure to trim your ends more frequently during the summer to prevent splits from traveling up the hair shaft and causing hair to look dry or frizzy.
6. Limit your use of blow-drying, hot rollers and styling irons during the summer months. They can compound the damaging effects of sun and salt and result in further drying.
(photo: hairstyle by Rodney Groves)
New York City events, news, fashion, celebrities, beauty tips, health & fitness, games, our latest promotion and more
Guest Of A Guest
New York Magazine
Los Angeles Times
Virtual hair styles